Fetal echocardiography is done to look into detail morphology and function of fetal heart. The best time to do fetal echocardiography is between 20-22 weeks.
At Care IVF we are even performing early fetal echocardiography at 15-16 weeks in cases of high index of suspicion ("HIS" approach).
The following are the indications of fetal echocardiography :
- Family history of cardiac anomaly
- Pre existing metabolic disease(e.g.diabetes)
- Maternal infection (e.g. TORCH, Parvovirus etc.)
- Cardiac teratogenic exposure (e.g. Antiepileptic drugs, Lithium etc.)
- Maternal autoimmune disease (e.g. SLE)
Fetal indication :
- Abnormal Nuchal translucency.
- Abnormal fetal karyotype.
- Major extra cardiac anomaly.
- Suspected fetal heart anomaly.
- Rate and rhythm disturbance.